Thursday, July 9, 2015

Vision Therapy

I have really struggled with vision problems for the past few years.  I tried getting new glasses, but although "technically" I can see well out of them, I still have trouble focusing and coordinating my eyes.  Since my regular optometrist couldn't seem to help me, I started looking into vision therapy.  I know many students who have used vision therapy with great success.  I also know others who have spent a great deal of time and money on therapy with no measurable results.  Also, the vision therapists in our area only work with children.   Thus, I decided to set out on my own to create a personal vision therapy program.  I did my research and found most sources promote the Bates Method.   I ordered the book on Amazon that had the best reviews and learned all the tricks.  The problem is that the therapy was confusing and time-consuming.  I started watching you tube videos to see the method in practice, and came across a much easier program on Vita Lives Free.  It consists of 6 simple exercises that you do every-other day.  The goal is to reduce your need for glasses, however I'm not "anti-glass", so I'm fine if I'm never able to drop my spectacles.  I just want to be able to focus my eyes and read without pain.  I have been doing the first five exercises for a few weeks now, and although I haven't had the "flashes of perfect vision" they describe, I have noticed a marked improvement in my focus and binocular coordination.  I'm going to give it the summer, adding in the final exercise and some of the Bates workouts as I go along.  At the end of summer, I'm going to go to a new ophthalmologist and see where I stand.  Right now, I'm hopefully optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment